Surf Life Saving Australia
What is Surf Life Saving Australia?
Surf Life Saving Australia is an Australian non-for-profit organization who exists to save lives, create great Australians and build better communities.
With over 170,000 members across Australia, the minimum training required is internationally recognized and world class.
Since the age of 4 I have been training as an Australian Surf Life Saver at Woonona Surf Life Saving Club, and a member of the club for 20 years.
At the age of 15 I started volunteering as a Patrolling Surf Life Saver.
At the age of 17 I was Woonona's youngest serving Patrol Capital.
In 2012/2013 I did publicity for Woonona including, website & communications.
Internationally recognize certificates and qualifications.
Bronze Medallion, a Certificate III in Aquatics and Community Recreation
- Safety & Wellbeing
- Resuscitation, Oxygen & Defibrillation
- First Aid
- Signals & Radio
- Surf Skills, Rips, Currents
- Patient Carries
- Rescue Techniques
- Working in a Team
Silver Medallion, Beach Management
- First Aid
- Radio Operator
- Advanced Resuscitation Techniques
- Spinal Management
Senior First Aid
- HLTAID001 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- HLTAID002 Provide basic emergency life support
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
- Know the causes of spinal injuries,
- Know the signs and symptoms of spinal injuries,
- Spinal injury management .
Key learning outcomes are to enable you to:
- Select appropriate rescue equipment
- Assess and manage the patient’s levels of distress
- Support and return patients to shore
- Perform a one-person drag technique and patient lay
Perform Surf Skill and Fitness Test;
- Swim 800 metres in under 14 minuntes
- Complete a 400 metre swim, 800 metre run, 400 metre board paddle and 800 metre run in 25 minutes
- Complete tube rescue of patient 100 metres out at sea and return (flippers optional)
- Complete board rescue of patient 200 metres out at sea and return
- Plan and undertake work activities
- Accept responsibilities
- Set performance requirements
- Maintain team performance
Awards & Recognitions
Junior Club Champion
Open Club Champion 2010/2011
100% patrol attendance 2010/2011
Open Club Champion 2011/2012
100% patrol attendance 2011/2012
4th in U19 Australian Surfboat Rowing League 2012 with Trout Slap
Open Club Champion 2016/2017
"Brennan Hatton was pivotal to the development of the Surf Boat rowing section of the Woonona Surf Lifesaving Club, it was the biggest competitive section of the club for a number of years. His enthusiasm, commitment and support in the acquisition of club members and aid the development of rowing teams saw the club benefit as a whole achieving great success in Surf Boat competition. The Woonona Club achieved a great honour being named State Surf Lifesaving Club of the year, this would not have been possible were it not be for the input and efforts of members such as Brennan.” ~ Jon Chivers, Boat Captain Woonona Surf Life Saving Club